Friday, December 28, 2007

Minus antecedents: The final interrogation of no

Alright. Tell me one more time about the racecar.
About how your bike is better even if it’s not more safe –
because it doesn’t go that fast – but somehow you’ve shown up
so far. No, no. The last thing I need is a diagram.
Maybe we should go back to yesterday. There was a yellow house
and two stick figures in the yard. What do you mean they were superheroes?

As in: Wonder Twins activate.
In the form of a light post and the disembodied bumper of your car.
Very funny. What did the house do. It yellowed.
Its memory was the least safe
dream of us all. We wanted to be architects then so we made plans
to blow it down. Neither of us was invited to the show.

Wait a minute. Are you trying to sell me intermission?
I came here for lollipops and acrobats and even snow.
Now there are no words but there’s a diagram
and you’re telling me “Don’t worry. It’s a race
not a joke.” Do you remember your safe
word?
No. What’s a safe word? It’s like house -

it’s out of context, it means no. You’ll be fine. Just remember: yellow house
(out of context) = no.
But I was here a year ago and they were playing the same damn show.
It’s not that I think I’m unsafe it’s just that some people are falling (do you think I’m unsafe?)
and some people are flying and I can’t tell which ones are supposed to be the superheroes.
It’s ok, babe. I bought you a racecar.
And I want you to call it your brain. I drew a picture

of us on the back of my tongue and the diagram
drew the fixture right away.
But what about the house
and the yard. The truth is there was never any yellow. There was only a car
and a car. Don’t get me wrong, they were nice cars. They always knew the way to the show.
I just can’t wrap my mind around precipitation.
We keep coming back to elephants and myspace and “safe”

words. I don’t know the difference between relationship. Between a net
made of fiberglass and an open window. The sentence and its diagram.
The ground that we move to make walls. Wonder twins,
activate. Where are you. In the form of a yellow house
and a bucket made of snow. Do me a favor, ok babe. Will you not show me
what you showed them at the show. One of us has a heart like a racecar…

It’s just that you’re an XX-man. and now I’m looking for a girl.
You wouldn’t believe the patterns I’ve seen on this racecar. I’d draw you a diagram
but I’m just not sure where it would go. Yellow house, relax. It’s ok. It’s just dress rehearsal.
I need you to save all that shit for the show.

No comments: